Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Qing Hai Lake and Nomads

Steph and I split paths for the day. I went with our hosts on a road trip and saw some amazingly beautiful countryside. We drove to Qing Hai (ching hi) Lake which is the largest lake in China. What do you think of it?




Our first stop (besides lookout points) was at the home of a gentleman from Norway who has built a school for Tibetan students where he teaches English and has a team of other teachers that he works with. He was preparing to leave for Xining, but graciously spent time explaining what he does, giving us a tour and making us coffee. I was able to touch one of the yaks that I had been seeing from the car during our trip. So soft!



We continued on our scenic drive past the pasture lands of nomadic peoples. There were mud huts with or without solar panels and tents with or without smoke stacks. Many of the tents were made from the abundant yak wool produced by the people. We also saw many high places where prayer flags had been hung in the practice of Tibetan Buddhism. Most the nomads are of this persuasion though their Buddhism has found a blend with the historic animist, polytheistic beliefs of the people.



The next home to welcome us was that of a Tibetan family. It was quite an immaculate and nice space where they greeted us with such hospitality. Friends of my hosts have helped this family to raise pigs and spin wool. The connection made us very welcome. They served us tea with butter, Tibetan bread (tasted similar to sourdough), apples and a paste made from roasted barley flour, dried yogurt, sugar, butter and hot water. I was stuffed by the time we left. What a warm people!




Both on the way out and on the way back from our countryside experience I was able to find lovely culverts where I could relieve myself. Some may have heard of the squat toilets that are common in China. I was priveleged to use more than one in Beijing, so I was in good practice for the culverts. Chinese people must have killer quads.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I could do the squat routines. I love my modern, indoor plumbing.
Be sure and tell your friends "hi" and "thanks" for me,Holly. I really appreciate their showing you a good time.

Anonymous said...

Looks really beautiful. I may never go to China now that I've learned you have to "squat" in culverts. Scary!

Anonymous said...

Your day sounded very lovely, for the most part. I like bathrooms though. Tried to leave a comment earlier but looks like it didn't go through. Glad you are both having wonderful experiences. Now is the time!!

Anonymous said...

xwI have kept Grandmother and Granddaddy up to date on your travels, by printing your post and taking to them. Grandmother is ready for you to come home. Glad you all have had a great time. See you later.