Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My day was not like Holly's.

As Holly mentioned below, we went our separate ways today. I had the pleasure of spending the day with a friend from college. First, we watched the women's gymnastics team finals. We may have been cheering against China... the tv coverage of the Olympics is definitely different here. Plenty of China team coverage!

After that, we headed to a noodle place for lunch, then to a Tibetan market. This afternoon, we had facials that lasted almost two hours and cost the equivalent of about $5. We laid on beds while ladies rubbed all kinds of creams on our faces, gave us masks, scalp massages, and shoulder/neck/back massages. It was heavenly. Except when it hurt a little. They are rather rough at times, but I didn't want to say anything because I wanted the true Chinese experience!

We walked around a couple of different parks - at one of them they were showing the Olympics on a large screen. It was fun to see people spontaneously gathering to cheer on their team. You see that a lot around town - random television sets, sometimes on the sidewalks, with a crowd of people gathered around to watch the Olympics.

We had hot pot for dinner - kind of the Chinese equivalent of the Melting Pot. Next time you're at the Melting Pot, try using chopsticks!

All in all, a great day, and great times catching up with friends!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a terrific day! Love those facials and cheap!! Holly's day sounded exciting also. Glad you are both doing well.

Stephanie: We're getting a new chairs and table - Emma (I don't know when and haven't seen any I like)!!!!