Thursday, August 7, 2008

Feeling a little like the Griswolds... and Happy Valentine's Day!

We are quickly learning that things around here aren't done in a way that makes sense to us. Yesterday we scheduled a tour through our hostel to the Great Wall. Late last night we found out it had been canceled. They said that particular section of the Wall was closed, but that didn't make sense, so we decided to try on our own today to get a bus. Well, turns out it really is closed. Because it really makes sense to close the largest tourist attraction here at the time when the most people are visiting.

But no problem - we decided we'd go to another section of the wall. Until we found out that we would have to take two or three different buses to get there and may never make it back to Beijing. So now we have scheduled a trip through our hostel to the open section for tomorrow. We'll see if we really get to go.

Then we decided we'd head to the Olympic Green area just to check it out since we haven't seen the stadiums yet... but that was a no-go as well. We couldn't get on the subway line that goes there because we didn't have Olympic credentials.

After regrouping, we decided to head to the zoo. The subway station closest to the zoo is connected to a mall... with a Pizza Hut. (You all probably think I am incredibly boring with my food choices, and you are pretty much right. But I did eat tofu yesterday, so maybe I just had to have the Starbucks and Pizza Hut to cancel that out.) It was the fanciest Pizza Hut I've ever seen... plus, since today is Chinese Valentine's Day, they had a special menu - for those on dates, I guess.

We did make it to the zoo, where we saw the pandas (mom, tell Emma I saw them!), as well as all your other typical zoo creatures. It was terribly humid, so we were pretty beat after a couple hours. We headed back to the hostel, and decided we'd go to an acrobat show this evening. The hostel arranged tickets and transportation. When we got there, they took us up to the third row. Then about 2 minutes later, they asked us to move... to the front row. We were the only ones in that row, and we were afraid we were going to end up taking part in the show. But luckily, that was not the case. The show was pretty incredible. Some of the kids were really young.

Here are some photo highlights:



Loving the pandas! Can't come to China without seeing them.



Although you can't really tell, we were front and center for the acrobat show.


Brenda, can Michael and I learn to do this at yoga?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, I saw the pandas!! Stephanie, I got choked on a peppermint. I had a salad at Red Lobster and chicken, french fries and ketchup. Aunt Worgy got me a duckie and cards. Are you bringing me something from China? Stephanie, I got some glasses.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a few difficulties seeing what you want to see! Hope you get to see some of the Wall after your long journey. Pandas are adorable.

New babies: Roberta's granddaughter born this morning and Eric Engebretson's 10 lb son born last weekend.

Unknown said...

Steph, I love your blog....it's so entertaining! And yes, we can definitely try some new yoga moves when you return(but only with a safety net)!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that picture of you and Holly at the acrobat show. It's a great picture of the two of you. I'm really enjoying reading your blog. It makes me feel a little more in touch with you guys and I don't have to wonder about what you're doing every day. Thanks for posting so often.

When do you guys finally get to see some Olympic games and what events are you going to?

Anonymous said...

Steph! Looks like a great time so far! Keep the pictures coming - they are awesome! We miss you already!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you got to see the pandas! You haven't said much about the smog. Is it really as bad as they say it is? I hope you make it to the Great Wall - when you get there, you must say "Damn Mongolians! Keep trying to break down my city wall!"

Unknown said...

You left out the part about smuggling a panda out of the zoo so that you can bring it home and let me play with it. I'm just going to assume that you didn't want the Chinese authorities to track this blog and confiscate the cute little cub, but that you managed to get it and it will be making its American debut upon your arrival :)
Hope the open part of the wall was worth the wait. I'm so glad you guys are having a good time!!!

Anonymous said...

The pandas are so cute! I'm glad you got to have some fun after the challenges. It is also nice that you weren't dragged to the stage to perform with the acrobats.I hope you will get to go to the Great Wall and that it will be worth the effort to get there. I wish I could send you some of our mild weather to make your experiences more comfortable.

Kelly M said...

Holly (and Stephanie) thanks for letting us in on your adventure while we sit at our desks! It's great to see where you've been while you're still away! Praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Steph: Love your blog! Hope you got to see some fireworks outside the Opening Ceremonies! Enjoy the Games and stay safe!

Anonymous said...

Hi again...I'm anonymous. My computer froze as I was typing in my name...Enjoy and keep up posted!

Observiance said...

Im so looking on youtube now...